Monday, August 8, 2011

Update: Kitchen Overhaul



The kitchen overhaul at my in-laws is almost complete!! 
There are still a couple layers missing, but I couldn't resist sharing the progress...


From vinyl to wood floors!!


It's so clean and elegant. It completely captures my Mother-in-laws style. Please excuse the "real world counter display"... these photos were taken during a bridal shower.


***Notice we still need the window trim installed and some window treatments***




These wooden canisters were made by George Dame, my husband's Grandfather, who spent hours each day in his wood shop creating all sorts of wooden master pieces. We all have several pieces made by George throughout our homes, whether they are wooden step stools, wooden baby toys, sculptural bowls, and canisters like you see above, they're all special and they remind us of him and his favorite hobby. 
George passed away before my daughter was born, but he made sure to make several toys for his future great grandchildren. He gave them to his son, my husband's father, to keep and to be given as gifts to his great grandchildren once they were born. How thoughtful is that?? 


This is what the kitchen used to look like...


The pantry went from being a closet with bi-fold doors to a built-in cabinet.... now there is much more storage surrounding the refrigerator...


TA-DA!! 


SO much better isn't it??? I have to admit this project was mostly an internet project for me. I simply guided my MIL through all of the decision making and helped her pick out the finishes. The final layers will be more hands-on. I can't wait!

We still have to add the finishing touches and I have a feeling I will be working on the back splash someday soon! I'm not gonna lie kids, I love to tile!! 

More to come soon!!



9 comments:

  1. The kitchen is gorgeous and the transformation is unreal. your MIL has great taste. the updates to her home are amazing. thanks for sharing.

    PS. i love the wooden canisters and their unique shape. your husband's grandfather was so thoughtful to save gifts for his great-grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it is so light and airy now! Beautiful, beautiful change. And what a wonderful story about Mr. Dame. His canisters are stunning.
    This post is awfully apropos. I just finished painting my kitchen (hardware excluded)!
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic transformation!!! I can't believe how amazing it looks just adding the pantry around the fridge. Great work. The wooden objects are so beautiful and so special since they were made with love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So Brilliant transformation!Loving the clean lines and the elegant look!Your in-laws find a good deals...amazing!!Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful kitchen makeover!! I love the new pantry area. I bet they are so excited about their new kitchen and I can't wait to see what you do. :)
    How amazing of your husbands grandfather to do that, he was so talented, those are gorgeous!
    Enjoy your week!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's fun seeing the progress. The wood pieces are so beautiful, what a nice touch to have that family connection added to the space in the home where families most often gather.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The kitchen looks amazing! I love the cabinets you chose and the extra storage by the refrigerator. Also, I have a collection of similar bowls made by my dad and would love to display them somewhere. Just not sure where.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you some interesting things or suggestions. Maybe you could write next articles referring to this article. I desire to read even more things about it!

    my page - define cash advance

    ReplyDelete
  9. Peculiar article, just what I wanted to find.

    my weblog :: are psychic readings accurate

    ReplyDelete

Please do...don't be shy now! I love to hear your thoughts.