Sunday, June 26, 2011

Lambrequins?!?

What sounds fancier and is more timeless than a valance??

A LAMBREQUIN!! 

A lambrequin is a style of pelmet or cornice that extends down the sides of a window, often to the sill, or even to the floor. They were popular in the early to mid 19th century and were made with stiffened  buckram, paper or wood.  Designs for lambrequins were first found in "The Workman's Guide" way back in 1883.

If you asked Ms. Harriet Beecher Stowe, she'd say, "...the patterns of these can be varied according to fancy, but simple designs are usually the prettiest.  A tassel at the lowest point improves the appearance." 

Like so...




Look at a pair designed by Miles Redd ....






As seen in the December 2009 issue of Elle Decor. In 2119 this room will still look just as elegant and fresh.

Why am I talking about lambrequins you ask??? 

Because I'm hoping to have one made for a new client!! A client that has a love for Asian antiques and contemporary design. We'll see what I come up with, but a lambrequin is seeming to fit the bill at the moment.

 It's strange how talking about a centuries old idea like a lambrequin, sounds more current than talking about a valance. The power of words. 

I'm excited!!! Wish me luck!!

8 comments:

  1. Kelle, how FUN are these? Thanks for the education. i had no idea what these were before today!
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  2. This gave me some great inspiration for my living room...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, lambrequins are elegant and you can style them up any old way. What a fun window treatment. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOOOOHHH, a new fancy word. I'm so going to have to find a way to casually use it in a sentence this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always wondered what they called these, thank you for solving that mystery! Great blog!
    -Jessica & Holly
    Etsy.com/shop/chezjolly

    ReplyDelete
  6. How educational you are. I didn't know the name for lambrequins...have to say it a few times... LAMBREQUINS. Can't wait to see how yours turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well thankyou, I have learnt something new today :) Have a great weekend, Nicolex

    ReplyDelete
  8. I completely waffle about Lambrequins. But when done well (Miles Redd) they are so charming! Also love that cayenne/persimmon he used on the walls :)

    If you go with this treatment, I can't wait to see how you incorporate them!

    xoxo,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete

Please do...don't be shy now! I love to hear your thoughts.