Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Ring The Bells...



This bell was my great Grandfather's bell. It hung on his front door. My Mom gave it to me years ago and I stashed it away because I didn't know what to do with it.

Then I met Tori. She is my friend that owns the fabulous store, Embellished Heart.

The first day I walked into her store, I knew she had a beautiful soul. She sprinkles bits of herself all over her store in the form of quotes, books, unique little items, and stuff that just makes you feel warm and cozy.

One of her things is writing quotes on mirrors and chalkboards. One of her favorites is the "Anthem" by Leonard Cohen. I had never heard the "anthem" before that day, and it has stuck with me ever since.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That is how the light gets in



You can read the entire anthem here

After this anthem had sunk itself into my heart and soul, I rediscovered the bell. I found it in my nightstand while I was digging around for a photo. I couldn't believe that the bell actually had a crack in it!!

It proudly hangs by my front door.

It gave me permission to accept myself despite my cracks. It also made me look at the things around me differently. What's wrong with a few cracks? What's wrong with a few scratches? They are evidence of love aren't they?

When we look at ourselves what evidence of our "loves" are left on our body? Stretch marks? Scars? Wrinkles? Why do we hate the evidence that our "loves" have left behind?

If I were perfect I wouldn't need God and I wouldn't be able to let His light in.

This translates directly to interiors in other ways too. Some objects look best against their imperfect opposites. Placing super sleek cleaned lined chairs with an incredibly rustic table really allows the qualities in both pieces to sing.


from the Captivatist

If everything were sleek and modern and "perfect" in this image, it wouldn't be nearly as interesting.


The Tribeca coffee table from Trendir

The imperfect wood with it's knots and missing chunks, makes the shiny metal even more clean and sleek.

What cracks are you willing to show in order for some light to come in?

Kelle
xx

4 comments:

  1. Kelle this is a beautiful post. I love the bell and all that it represents. We all have cracks and should display them proudly, they make us unique and most importantly, they make us human.
    Thank you for this reminder my friend, truly beautiful.
    Have a wonderful Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think our homes should really be about living with what we love, so I'm so glad you found a way to incorporate this family heirloom into your everyday life! i am actually speaking this weekend on this very topic--such a coincidence!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very profound post Kelle. I notice you didn't say wrinkles. That's because you're still young:) I have a burled walnut table very similar to the Tribeca table and it has jagged metal legs. The whole thing was crafted by an amazing artisan and you would be surprised how many people tell me I should get matching legs for the table. Vive le difference!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading this :) It's so wise and such a good reminder..

    ReplyDelete

Please do...don't be shy now! I love to hear your thoughts.