Monday, March 14, 2011

Painted Wallpaper

Happy Monday everyone!

I love being inspired by my fellow bloggers and designers!!

Sometimes, I don't know what I would do without all of you!

I certainly wouldn't have had the guts to attempt this....



Thanks to Emily over at Jones Design Company, I felt that I could handle this project.

If you haven't checked out her blog yet...do it!! It's completely fabulous! You will leave with so many ideas and so much inspiration you won't know which project to do first!

You can download the template for this design here (trace the template onto a used cereal box for a more sturdy template)


As you can see we eat Count Chocula :)

She gives a great tutorial. This is her image of her beautiful work!



She has an extremely steady hand and has made her lines thicker than mine. She did an amazing job!! I have yet to attempt doing the inner outline of the shape. That will come next.

The great thing about this project is that it doesn't have to be perfect. Mine certainly isn't, and I still love it.

It takes a lot of time, patience, and tracing, but if you work at it slowly, you will feel that you have accomplished a lot over a short period of time.

Here is how I'm going about this project:

Start out with a small section of the wall near the ceiling and next to where the walls meet. You want the place where you know you will be looking often to be the place you start.


(This spot is right in front of my bed, so it's the first place I see when I sit up.)

2. Get out any ol paint you have laying around. This is a sample. It doesn't matter if it matches. You don't want to go out and buy paint in your chosen, complimentary color, if you aren't sure you're gonna be able to do this. You can always use your left over wall paint to cover up this first attempt if you decide that you would rather have a few cavities filled than seriously attempt this project.

3. Trace a few and give it a shot. See how it makes you feel. If you feel that there is no way on God's green earth that you are gonna be able to trace and paint so many lines...then at least you tried. Now you can scratch this idea off the list and move onto the next idea.

4. If you get the hang of it and you think you might have some fun doing it, then it's time to head to the paint store. If you want the design to be subtle, you can pick the next lighter or darker color on your original paint swatch. If you want more contrast, skip a few and go much lighter or darker. You can always try buying the samples and see which one suits the look you're really trying to achieve.
(My colors: The main wall color = Babbling Brook by Valspar; The ceiling and medallion design = Morning Fog, also by Valspar)

Examples of a similar design with more contrast:




from cococozy


The Casablanca from Cutting Edge Stencils

I am definitely taking the more subtle approach.

5. Use a level to make your first line.
Center the medallion on that first line.
The rest of the tracing is like a puzzle. Each piece will fit inside the next. That is what I love about this! No need to keep using the level, so long as your pieces are fitting together nicely.

6. Trace VERY lightly!! Trace and trace and trace!! Keep tracing!!!

7. Now it's time to paint. Use a very small brush...probably one that seems too small. Remember when you push down on the brush, the bristles will spread out quite a bit. Just keep that in mind. I often forget this little tid bit :)

8. If you are right handed paint from left to right. For the left handers out there, do the opposite. You don't want your hand to touch the side you just painted. You always want your hand resting on the areas you haven't painted yet. Seems like a stupid hint, but trust me, when you get excited about what you're about to do, these little known facts slip right out of your mind!

9. This is a project to do in small increments. Maybe an hour or two at a time, or you might just go a little crazy. Keep a small cup or sample of your paint near the project area and just pick up your brush and do a few lines when you feel like it. No need to rush. I just do a little here and there, and before I know it, I have another row done.

10. Keep a wet paper towel handy for mistakes. If you don't wipe them off right away, you can always come back later with the original wall color and fix it.

11. Just keep at it... and before you know it, you'll be done!!! (I'm still not done...)

When you're ready to give up....think of how expensive wallpaper is and how hard it is to remove. Painted wallpaper takes some time and patience, but when you change your mind, you just paint right over it. That's the beauty of paint!

This is the Candice Olson version in wallpaper format...imagine the price...



This project feels like it cost me nothing but time. I already had all the paint and supplies.

For those of you who don't, adding this design to your walls can cost as little as $4.00. You would only have to purchase a paint sample or two.


Candice Olson wallpaper

I love the Candice Olson version...but I don't really want to experience the Candice Olson price.

So there you have it...another started project in my house!! Can you tell I jump around from project to project, wherever inspiration leads??

What projects are you ready to tackle??
Kelle
xx

P.S. I still haven't finished the chair and here I am starting something else!!

9 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Kelle that is beautiful!! I love the subtleness and the colors are so perfect!! I don't know if I could do that, although I have been known to find something like that very therapeutic with the repetition and you can't beat the price! I can't wait to see the whole wall! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. $4, now you tell me! I spent $170 on two double rolls of wallpaper and didn't even need most of the second roll. The design I purchased was very similar to this.

    I love you attitude about doing the project in increments-just my style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! This is a project to relish...cannot wait to see the results.

    Leigha

    ReplyDelete
  4. What you need is hard core determination and patience but what an amazing look. I am seriously thinking of giving this a try even though I possess neither of those traits. Can't wait to see yours Kelle. I have no doubt it will look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is SUCH a cool diy!! I think I would do some triangles, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So far so good! You are doing great!!! love the look!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's looking awesome! And I love that you got the molding up above it! That stencil is such a great idea! Kudos to Emily!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What color is this blue with the stencils on it...IT is so pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The colors are Valspar Morning Fog and Babbling Brook. The lighter blue is Morning Fog. I hope you give it a shot. I find these blues to be very versatile and they work as a neutral. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Please do...don't be shy now! I love to hear your thoughts.