Monday, February 28, 2011

Learn From My Mistakes: Part 1 of 277987082349

Hmmmm...this could be the beginning of a VERY long series!!

Since most of you are interested in the same things as me, and you probably have at least one piece of furniture you would like to re-finish in the near future, I thought I would share with you what I have learned. By "learned", I really mean "found out the hard way". And by "found out the hard way", I really mean, "most painfully"!!

Remember my new Love, this bowed front chest...




Notice it's reddish/pink tint??? It's just BEE-UTIFUL isn't it...




***insert horrifying scream***



My beautiful dresser has acne!!! This is the result of the cherry stain bleeding through not one, but three coats of primer.

P.S. That reddish/pink tint is no longer BEE-UTIFUL to me!! At least not right now it isn't!! :(

So, what is the lesson to be learned here you ask???

There are a few actually.

Lesson 1: If you have a piece with a dark stain (wood or veneer), especially a dark red stain, use OIL BASED PRIMER!!!

I knew this! Did I listen? No.

I was being cheap. You see, I didn't have oil based primer, I had water based, so I used what I had.

It wouldn't be a big deal if you could take an oil based product and just put it on top of any water based product...but you can't. You would have to strip all the water based products off of the entire piece before you can put on any oil based products.

In my attempts to stop this pink from bleeding through, I not only did one coat of water based primer, I did two. Then I did three coats of the actual paint. Imagine stripping all of that off!! Grrr.

Then I attempted another coat of one of thee BEST water based primers out there! That pink still came right through!!

Can you sense my frustration??

Lesson 2: When you are sanding the piece in the very beginning (roughing it up so that the primer has a good surface to adhere to) DON'T sand so much that you get yourself down to the stain. You want to stay on top of the clear coat. The clear coat is what will help stop that stain from bleeding through.

Let me tell you what I did.

I sanded like there was no tomorrow! I put some major elbow grease into that piece! About an hour of my time too. I was quite proud of myself!

Lesson 3: If you notice the stain is bleeding through the first coat of primer...STOP! Don't keep going like something is suddenly going to change. Stop. Go to the hardware/paint store and show the expert behind the counter what is happening and ask them what to do before you proceed. It will save you time and money!

Lesson 4: Purchase a few shares of your favorite paint company, such as KILZ or Zinsser. After all, you alone will be increasing the value of said shares :)

Soooo, that is what I have learned from this fabulous $30 dresser that has now cost about $60. A set back for now, but a few valuable lessons learned for the future.

My resolution to this issue, after speaking to the expert at Lowes, is to sand AGAIN, and try a Shellac based primer or BIN. We'll see how that goes. Wish me luck!!!

I hope your weekend was way more productive than mine!!! I also hope that these lessons will be of value to you in the future :)

Kelle
xx

P.S. "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Albert Einstein knows how I feel.

Read more: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/alberteins133991.html#ixzz1FGb6D99P

6 comments:

  1. Ouch! Sorry to hear about your misadventures Kelle. It completely reminds me of my frustration with the crown molding. Different problem but same huge lessons being learned. Keep at it. I know it'll be fabulous in the end. xo Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no!!! I feel your pain my friend! I did that once to a table that I painted black, then stripped and sanded to paint white. I used water based, then oil based without sanding all the way..needless to say I ruined the table and it is now in pieces in my basement! I think I will go out and invest in some paint stock, you and I alone will become rich off each other!! :) Good luck and I am sorry that this happened. She will be BEE HUE TEE FUL again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about your dresser Kelle! I hate when things don't go as planned. At least you learned from your mistake and you can now move forward. It'll work out and in the end She Will Be Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous! I could have several posts on "what I have learned through my mistakes." Very informative!!!
    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. How disappointing. Thanks for posting about the use of oil based primer and sanding to save the rest of us from a wasted weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have just downloaded iStripper, so I can watch the best virtual strippers on my taskbar.

    ReplyDelete

Please do...don't be shy now! I love to hear your thoughts.