Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Hunchback...Mrs. Dame

The images you are about to see are real and may induce a sudden urge to tile.

Side effects of D.I.Y tiling may include sudden headaches and stomach upset, a hunchback posture, and a general feeling of being 90 years old.

This was our kitchen BEFORE:





The back splash was a fun father daughter project!





Yes. I tile in my pajamas!

Here's to a good start...



I got the hang of it and then I was on my own.



Notice the hunchback forming!!



Don't wake up the supervisor!!



And about 4 hours later... and on my way to looking like this guy...



Here is a finished wall!!



Now I only have three more to go!!

Genius Idea: Hire your kid to be the spacer remover. Labor shmabor.





Notice how my husband dresses our daughter?!? Poor girl!

My D.I.Y tiling tips for you:
1. Take Ibuprofen BEFORE you even start
2. Wear a poncho while using the tile cutter or just throw a hand towel over your shoulder on the side where the cutter shoots water.
3. Put up a tarp or towels to protect the area around the cutter from water.
4. Use painters tape on your tiles to mark your cutting lines instead of markers that will run and make a mess. The tape will stay on if you press it firmly.
5. If you can, buy the tiles with the mesh background and save yourself lots of time and backaches!

I'm STILL not done!! Did I mention I still have to grout?!?

Even though I look and feel like the Hunchback of Notre Dame, I am very happy to have learned a new skill and that our kitchen is very close to being finished!!

If I ever hire someone to do my tiling for me, I will NEVER complain about their bill!

Hope you all have a fabulous New Year!! I will probably be tiling!!

Kelle
xx

6 comments:

  1. Kelle- I feel your pain completely!!!!!! I did subways in our last house and was responsible for the majority of the work. It was intense and I said I'd never do it again---we'll see if that holds true. I always say I'll nevahhhh, and then I do it anyway ;)

    Can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelle, my dear!! tks for stopping by Achados de Decoração. It´s always a pleasure to read your comment. by the way, I would like to wish you a very happy New Year!!! kisses and hugs

    PS: I´m curious about the "grand finalle" of your DIY transformation kitchen!I hope your back is better now.

    Carmen
    Achados de Decoração

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did an amazing job! I love it! I adore the subway tile, fabulous! XX!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is lovely! I can't wait to see how it turns out! Great way to start the New Year, Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. oi querida,isso que é colocar a mão na massa,parabens ficou lindooooo,bjsss

    ReplyDelete
  6. veja o meu blog tambem,terei o maior prazer em recebe-la é www.vidagmail.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please do...don't be shy now! I love to hear your thoughts.